Adventist News

Saying “Goodbye” With Dignity

Hospice “Am Stadtwald” opens in Uelzen

On March 1, the first inpatient hospice in the district of Uelzen was opened. The hospice, named “Am Stadtwald,” is operated by the Adventist Welfare Department of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Germany. “We are pleased to offer this service to the terminally ill and their families in the district of Uelzen,” said Georg Remmert, hospice general manager. The hospice will serve people for whom no cure can be expected and who are not able to continue living in their homes. “Hospice guests can live out their last days with dignity, surrounded by kindness and love,” said Remmert.

Photo: Karl-Heinz WalterThe hospice focuses on the sick person and their family. With 11 single rooms it sees itself as a refuge where family members can also stay overnight if necessary. “It is a place of life and of farewell and thereby allows a dignifying last phase in the life of the patients,” said the manager. The work of the hospice is supported through a partnership with the Hospice Service Association for the District of Uelzen, which trains volunteers who take care of people on an outpatient as well as inpatient basis. These volunteers spend a lot of time talking, listening, and just being silent with the patient. Non-resolved issues are discussed sympathetically.

There are no costs for the guests of the inpatient hospice. Health insurance generally covers 90 percent of the costs of the hospice stay. The remaining 10 percent is borne by the hospice itself, requiring financial and moral support from those who support the hospice concept. A “society of friends” has been established to promote this.

Construction of the inpatient hospice in Uelzen cost 2.2 million euros, and created 11 jobs. The hospice is located within the Adventist Uelzen Life Center. In addition to hospice, the center includes the 2014 newly opened assisted housing complex with 40 apartments, as well as the 45 year-old Uelzen Advent Nursing Home. At the center of the complex is the Adventist Church Uelzen Am Stadtwald.

The Uelzen hospice is the second Adventist institution of its kind in Germany. In 2009, the Adventist Welfare Department together with a partner, founded the “Friedensberg” hospice in Lauchhammer, Brandenburg.

The hospice, as well as the other facilities of the Uelzen Life Centre is open to all people regardless of creed or background, assured Remmert.

More information is available at www.hospiz-am-stadtwald.de and www.leben-am-stadtwald.de.


As the oldest publishing platform of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, the Adventist Review (est. 1849) provides inspiration and information to the global church through a variety of media, including print, websites, apps, and audio and video platforms.Content appearing on any of the Adventist Review platforms has been selected because it is deemed useful to the purposes and mission of the journal to inform, educate, and inspire the denomination it serves.Unless identified as created by “Adventist Review” or a designated member of the Adventist Review staff, content is assumed to express the viewpoints of the author or creator of the content.

We reserve the right to approve and disapprove comments accordingly and will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding that. Please keep all comments respectful and courteous to authors and fellow readers.
comments powered by Disqus