The Care and Feeding of Adventists
Current and former Adventists in North America were asked about the congregational care they received before and after they became members.
Top Five Reasons People Leave the Church (Returned Members):
- I thought highly of it, but I had lost touch.
- I thought highly of it, but I felt I could not live up to its standards.
- It had become irrelevant to my life.
- I was angry at the way it treated me.
- I felt that it was cold and inflexible.
Ten significant life events in the year prior to no longer attending church:
- Serious illness
- Death in the family
- Marital conflict
- Job change
- Illness in family
- Lost job
Top reasons given to stop attending church:
- No big issue; I just drifted away.
- Lack of compassion for those hurting
- Moral failure on my part
- I did not fit in.
- Too much focus on minor issues
- Conflict in the congregation
- Moral failures of members
- Moral failures of leaders
- Pressure from family or friends
- Race, ethnic, or tribal issues